messages from GNU screen always in English

It seems that regardless of my locale (LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8,
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8, etc), messages from GNU screen are
always in English.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I doing something wrong?

For the record, the following briefly illustrates what I do (for
example):

 $ export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8 ; screen # set locale for tty and start screen
 $ exit # quit screen session
 [screen is terminating]

The termination message above illustrates the unexpected behavior I am
talking about.

Also for the record:

 $ locale -a
 C.UTF-8
 de_DE.utf8
 en_US.utf8
 fr_CA.utf8
 fr_FR.utf8
 POSIX
 ru_RU.utf8

(By contrast, screen's ":time" command *does* obey the locale, though
it displays non-ascii characters incorrectly, and as far as I know
that is a different issue, possibly worth another thread.)

--
 The day will come              |  Last words, August Spies (1855--1887).
 When our silence will be       |  Hanged, by the state of Illinois,