Re: System freeze using web browsers

On 11/05/18 18:56, Joe wrote:
On Fri, 11 May 2018 11:37:24 +1200
Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> wrote:
On 11/05/18 03:17, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
Those times it happened, I remember kicking myself (HARD!) for not
*simply* making sure there were no dust bunnies gathering inside the
case in the days just prior to the hardware loss. :)
Hmm. I wonder how hard it would be to design/build a dust bunny
sensor ...
Easier to fit temperature sensors and use good fan filters. On the
other hand, it takes more effort to wash fan filters than suck out a
bit of loose dust, and has to be done more frequently.

Easierest to go fanless. No fans means no noise and no dust or cat hair being concentrated inside your computer. Fanless still benefits from temperature sensors and thermald. I am using an i7 7700 (Kaby Lake 65 W TDP) in a Streacom FC8 Alpha with a 120 W power adapter, using only the integrated Intel HD 630 GPU. It maintains nearly full turbo boost under heavy CPU load, in complete silence. Discrete GPUs are the real power hogs and heat generators in modern systems.

Laptops are harder; there used to be low-power fanless models that radiated heat through the keyboard, but these seem to be less common. I hope ARM64 will become more common.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director