Re: System freeze using web browsers

On 10/05/18 17:36, Felix Miata wrote:
Ben Caradoc-Davies composed on 2018-05-10 17:13 (UTC+1200):
Alexander, are there any signs of overheating at the time of the freeze?
Any _other_ signs? Apparently "random" freezing after 30 minutes heavy use, such
as watching a video with a 1GHz CPU and 276MHz (normal clock) GPU[1], _is_ a
sign of overheating or other physical malfunction, not likely a problem that
changing driver or kernel could likely solve.

Other signs like elevated sensor temperatures, fans screaming, raised surface temperatures, smoke ...

I have a 2010 vintage Acer Aspire 1430 (Arrandale i3-330UM) and it still works fine on those rare occasions that I use it. It has a weaker GPU than the Acer Aspire V5 (121), but its Intel HD Graphics (Ironlake) might be better supported than the AMD Radeon HD 6290.

If the problem only started with a system update as reported, it could be a software defect. I suggest gathering more evidence.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director