Re: LVM setup with snapshots

I really didn't prepare for lvm. I never used lvm before this so had no idea of lvm before.

Snapshots sound like an awesome idea.

I would like to do a configured base install, create a snapshot, and modify (fork), the base for different things.

With 20/20 hindsight. The default doesn't seem to have room. What are different solutions other debian/lvm users have used?

Thanks
Forest

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 2:57 PM, Forest Dean Feighner <forest.feighner@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 09:20:32AM +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> > To me, it seems me the partition is too large to to reduce for snapshots.
>
> What do you mean ?
> Did you allocate all the available space in the volume group to the logical
> volumes ? Creating snapshots requires space.

Yeah, if you let the installer do LVM partitioning "for" you, it
notoriously uses up all the extents, leaving you nothing to work with,
totally defeating the purpose of LVM.

If you do an LVM install with Debian, you have to do manual partitioning.
Or at least, you really *really* want to.

Yes, this was my first lvm install using the defaults which did not leave enough room for snapshots.