Re: System freeze using web browsers

On 10/05/18 09:17, Alexander Beerhoff wrote:
Dear Debian Team,
I’ve found increasing heavier problems using web browser. In earlier stage
the “system” freeze (no ctrl-alt-function-key response) when watching long
video online (say at least 30 min, say on you tube.com), now (as
consequence of system update??) cannot use any browser: tried chromium
firefox(esr,stable,nightly) epiphany-browser qutebrowser and the result are
system freeze or shutdown (watching video).
I’ve described the problem in very generic terms, I’ve filled ticket on
mozilla for earlier problem but cannot profile browser since gui is very
unresponsive when not freezed. Can you help? Waiting for your welcome
advices.
Thank you for your attention and best regards.
Basic info:
Computer Acer Aspire V5 (121)
uname -v: #1 SMP Debian 4.16.5-1

My immediate suspicion is your video drivers. In addition to the kernel, the mesa package and third-party video drivers can participate in delivering video to your screen. Any of these can cause a GPU hang and freeze your system. GPU hardware acceleration is used to decode video.

- What is your model of CPU?
- What is your GPU?
- What video drivers and version?
- What mesa package version?

The mesa and video driver developers will be much more receptive to these problems than Mozilla developers. What you have is likely a problem with the drivers for your hardware. Mozilla developers cannot help, but video driver developers will want to fix it.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director