Re: System freeze using web browsers

On 5/10/18, Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz> wrote:
> On 10/05/18 17:36, Felix Miata wrote:
>> Ben Caradoc-Davies composed on 2018-05-10 17:13 (UTC+1200):
>>> Alexander, are there any signs of overheating at the time of the freeze?
>> Any _other_ signs? Apparently "random" freezing after 30 minutes heavy
>> use, such
>> as watching a video with a 1GHz CPU and 276MHz (normal clock) GPU[1], _is_
>> sign of overheating or other physical malfunction, not likely a problem
>> that
>> changing driver or kernel could likely solve.
>
> Other signs like elevated sensor temperatures, fans screaming, raised
> surface temperatures, smoke ...

That reminded me that there can be an uncomfortable "hot smell" that's
an early warning sign that smoke and maybe a *pop-sizzle* is likely
imminent. I fried a couple different power supplies over the years
because my brain didn't cognitively register that hot smell for what
it was the second it appeared.

Those times it happened, I remember kicking myself (HARD!) for not
*simply* making sure there were no dust bunnies gathering inside the
case in the days just prior to the hardware loss. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with that "pink" screen tint that's not offending consistently
enough to track cause *