Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

On 05/21/2017 05:24 PM, Anil Duggirala wrote:
Thanks everyone for your responses. I did not expect such quick and full
response. I also really don't believe it has anything to do with
partitioning (Debian deleted the partitions and created exactly
corresponding partitions with guided partitioning).
More info: When I installed initially with LXDE, I had horrible graphics
and no touchpad, upon installing the Linux-image from backports (4.9),
these problems were resolved. I have tried installing Linux-image 4.9
from backports (using the command line) now again, the problem persists.
However, in the debian-laptop users list, I guy who said he has the
exact same laptop (Asus X441SA) said he is running Gnome-Classic
(Gnome), I have tried asking him if he got this problem but have
received no response from him.
All commands outputs here are in a new installation (I have installed 3
times now), with the regular kernel (3.16)
Outputs:
inxi commands say 'command not found'
lspci .... :
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device
[8086:22b1] (rev 35)
Subsystem: ASUSTek Computer Inc. Device [1043:1290]
00:0b.0 Signa processing controller [1180]: Intel Corporation Device
[8086:22dc] (rev 35)
Subsystem: ASUSTek Computer Inc. Device [1043:1290]
00:13.0 SATA Controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:22a3]
(rev 35)

I have pasted Xorg log at https://paste.debian.net/933539

Should I just try Mate or XFCE?? is it possible that works?

thanks a lot,

If you have not already upgraded again, do you have the packages "xorg and dkms" installed. If not install them and reboot.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Sid/Testing - Plasma 5.8.6 - EXT4 at sda15
Registered Linux User #380263