Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

On 05/21/2017 12:23 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> On 05/21/2017 08:48 AM, Michael Milliman wrote:

>>> Michael what I'm saying is if you have sda1,sda2,sda3, partitions and
>>> you delete sda2 partition, sda3 becomes sda2 and if you make a new
>>> partition, even in the same unused space it will become sda3. So, in the
>>> end the drive will read sda1,sda3,sda2 and personally I can't live like
>>> that, I have to many systems to tend too. But as it's been mentioned you
>>> can use UUID if your fstab and that reminds me, if you delete or format
>>> a partition the UUID will change, #blkid will give you the UUID's.  I
>>> hear your argument, but I say back-up and start over, do it right.
>> The Debian Installer uses UUIDs in the entries in the /etc/fstab file,
>> so changing the numbering of the partitions (/dev/sda2 vs. /dev/sda3)
>> does not have an effect on the overall functioning of the system.  You
>> can also use partition labels in the fstab file as well, as I do
>> frequently, as I move data from drive to drive on occasion and simply
>> relabel the partitions to move with the data.  With that, there is no
>> need to change the fstab when I move data around.
>>
>> However, the OP's post does not mention anything of this nature.  The OP
>> deleted the existing Debian partition(s) leaving the existing Windows
>> partition(s) alone.  No mention was made of the ordering of the
>> partitions on the drive.  The OP then re-installed Debian with the
>> Debian installer, effectively starting from scratch with Debian.
>> Everything seems to work, except GNOME is crashing on boot.  There are
>> several things that can cause this, and I have caused some of them on my
>> system before, however the fact that this is a fresh install limits the
>> possible causes, the most likely of them being a missing (non-free?)
>> video driver or some such required by GNOME to run properly.  The way
>> the OP went about scrapping and re-installing the Debian system is valid
>> and should not have caused a problem under normal circumstances.  Hence
>> the suspicion of a missing driver (again probably non-free, and likely
>> Radeon as well...I've had similar issues with my laptop).
>
> I have a Lenovo laptop with the problem you describe and it's a
> kernel/video/plasma problem, works fine with the old Sid 4.7 kernel but
> not with the 4.9, first boot is ok, on restart you will not get the DM
> or x and may freeze up.  Sometimes switching back and forth on the
> consoles will get you x, alt+ctrl+F2-F1-F3-F7. Jessie back-ports are
> also 4.9 and don't work right too. The problem here is an
> Intel-965-mobile, I'm going to install the Jessie kernel and see if that
> works or maybe a Ubuntu kernel, I think they are 4.4 and 4.8, I know the
> 4.4 will work, for me anyways, but I have to do something cause the 4.7
> kernel is old now and not getting security updates.
Hey, its better than the 3.16 kernel I was stuck with for a long time up
until just a couple of months. :)  In my case, laptop would boot, but
the screen would be completely blanked out.  If I caught the boot
process at just the right time with a alt+ctl+F1, I could get it to
finish booting, if I missed the window, it was power-off, power-on!! :(
The first-boot on 3.16  would do usually boot into software emulation
mode, and then I installed the Radeon drivers, and everything was OK.  I
have 4.9 running now and working fine. Video drivers and wifi drivers
have been my bane for many a year!
--
73's,
WB5VQX -- The Very Quick X-ray