Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

On 05/21/2017 08:48 AM, Michael Milliman wrote:

On 05/21/2017 05:48 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
On 05/21/2017 03:25 AM, Michael Milliman wrote:

On 05/21/2017 05:09 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
On 05/21/2017 12:57 AM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 21/05/2017 à 09:55, Jimmy Johnson a écrit :

No, you should NOT have deleted the partition, now your partition
table
is messed up.

Bullshit. This is just a Gnome error.

Unless you are deleting the last partition your partition table is going
to be messed up. I hope you enjoy your B.S. You can workaround by using
UUID, but personally I do not care for a messed up partition table.
I also call B.S. on this response.  The OPs problem has absolutely
nothing to do with the partition table or the UUIDs of the various
partitions.  If it did, the system would not have gotten to the point of
starting GNOME.  Adding, deleting and resizing partitions, using the
appropriate tools, is relatively save in the modern era.  I have, on
many occasions over the years deleted and re-arranged the partitions on
my system to accommodate changing needs and have had no problems
whatsoever.

Michael what I'm saying is if you have sda1,sda2,sda3, partitions and
you delete sda2 partition, sda3 becomes sda2 and if you make a new
partition, even in the same unused space it will become sda3. So, in the
end the drive will read sda1,sda3,sda2 and personally I can't live like
that, I have to many systems to tend too. But as it's been mentioned you
can use UUID if your fstab and that reminds me, if you delete or format
a partition the UUID will change, #blkid will give you the UUID's.  I
hear your argument, but I say back-up and start over, do it right.
The Debian Installer uses UUIDs in the entries in the /etc/fstab file,
so changing the numbering of the partitions (/dev/sda2 vs. /dev/sda3)
does not have an effect on the overall functioning of the system.  You
can also use partition labels in the fstab file as well, as I do
frequently, as I move data from drive to drive on occasion and simply
relabel the partitions to move with the data.  With that, there is no
need to change the fstab when I move data around.

However, the OP's post does not mention anything of this nature.  The OP
deleted the existing Debian partition(s) leaving the existing Windows
partition(s) alone.  No mention was made of the ordering of the
partitions on the drive.  The OP then re-installed Debian with the
Debian installer, effectively starting from scratch with Debian.
Everything seems to work, except GNOME is crashing on boot.  There are
several things that can cause this, and I have caused some of them on my
system before, however the fact that this is a fresh install limits the
possible causes, the most likely of them being a missing (non-free?)
video driver or some such required by GNOME to run properly.  The way
the OP went about scrapping and re-installing the Debian system is valid
and should not have caused a problem under normal circumstances.  Hence
the suspicion of a missing driver (again probably non-free, and likely
Radeon as well...I've had similar issues with my laptop).

I have a Lenovo laptop with the problem you describe and it's a kernel/video/plasma problem, works fine with the old Sid 4.7 kernel but not with the 4.9, first boot is ok, on restart you will not get the DM or x and may freeze up. Sometimes switching back and forth on the consoles will get you x, alt+ctrl+F2-F1-F3-F7. Jessie back-ports are also 4.9 and don't work right too. The problem here is an Intel-965-mobile, I'm going to install the Jessie kernel and see if that works or maybe a Ubuntu kernel, I think they are 4.4 and 4.8, I know the 4.4 will work, for me anyways, but I have to do something cause the 4.7 kernel is old now and not getting security updates.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Sid/Testing - Plasma 5.8.6 - EXT4 at sda15
Registered Linux User #380263