Re: Possibly erroneous "device not present" message during boot

On 04/13/2017 05:55 PM, Brian wrote:
On Thu 13 Apr 2017 at 20:05:22 +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

David is right : you don't really boot from the SD card.

The OP never claimed he was booting from the SD card. He particularly
said he did not install GRUB to the card.

GRUB is on the HDD. The kernel is on the HDD. Only the root filesystem is on
the SD card.

Yes. That's what the linux line says too.

I'll try to clarify some details.

My installation protocol.
 1. I always use "Expert" as that way the installer will
    do fewer things I'm not aware of.
 2. I only install Grub the *first* time I do a Debian install.
    By poor design Grub puts the current install first on menu.
    When experimenting with configuration as I do, the least
    likely install to be functional is the latest.
    This requires me to run update-grub on the "good" install.
 3. Similarly a swap partition is specified only on the first
    install as the installer insists on destroying the UUID of
    the existing swap partition. It is simpler to edit only the
    fstab of latest install than to edit those for all other
    installs each time.
 4. All installs in this thread have been done using DVD 1 of
    13 of Debian 8.6.0 - thus all intrinsically use the same
    kernel.

I've done some additional observations and test installs.
1. The BIOS of the Lenovo T510 can be directed to boot from
   the CD/DVD drive, hard disk, or any attached USB flash
   drive. It *cannot* be directed to boot from the SD card.
2. I did an install to a USB flash drive including installing
   Grub2 to the MBR of that flash drive. When selecting the
   SD card from the grub menu I see nothing different.
3. I did a new install to the SD card specifying a different set
   of packages and installing grub to the MBR of the SD card.
   Once again no behavioral difference.

Does any of this justify a bug report. Especially as I do not
have the bandwidth to do a netinstall of a pre-release version?