Re: Possibly erroneous "device not present" message during boot

On Wed 12 Apr 2017 at 10:14:59 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 04/12/2017 07:39 AM, songbird wrote:
> >
> > - the bios may not be set correctly to find the device.
>
> I do not see how the bios might be involved.
> Grub2 has been installed to the MBR of /dev/sda .
> The only known reference to Grub2 is in the instance of Debian residing on
> /dev/sda1 .

Everything GRUB knows about devices comes from what the BIOS tells it.
They are more than just good friends. :)

It appears from 'ls' at a GRUB prompt that your GRUB does not know about
your SD card. Booting takes place but GRUB takes its time to think about
what it should do about not finding something it has been told to search
for. In the end, it decides to go ahead, but in some cases it wouldn't.
That would dispel your present mood of happiness.

While we are it it: your update-grub stanza does not contain a line with
set root=" in it. Could this possibly be a copy and paste error? I ask
because the line is present on Jessie and testing when the device is a
USB stick.

--
Brian.