Re: Possibly erroneous "device not present" message during boot

Le 14/04/2017 à 19:05, Richard Owlett a écrit :

 2. I only install Grub the *first* time I do a Debian install.
    By poor design Grub puts the current install first on menu.

It's not poor design. It is perfectly normal that the system which installs GRUB is first in the menu. If you don't like it, you can change it.

    When experimenting with configuration as I do, the least
    likely install to be functional is the latest.

When experimenting, it is wise not to replace the existing working boot loader with a new one which depends on the newly installed system. It has nothing to do with GRUB's supposedly poor design.

 3. Similarly a swap partition is specified only on the first
    install as the installer insists on destroying the UUID of
    the existing swap partition.

No, it doesn't insist. It just marks the existing swaps as to be used by default, which in turns marks them to be formatted with a new UUID. You are free to mark them as not to be used and they won't be reformatted. It just insist on using a swap, but it does not have to be any of the existing ones.

Does any of this justify a bug report.

No. The only bug is that the system installed on the SD card boots while it should not.