Re: Possibly erroneous "device not present" message during boot

On 04/13/2017 10:48 AM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 13/04/2017 à 13:40, Richard Owlett a écrit :
On 04/12/2017 02:03 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 12/04/2017 à 20:33, Richard Owlett a écrit :
On 04/12/2017 12:13 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

[snip]
- while the SD card is inserted, in the GRUB menu press "c" to enter a
GRUB shell and report the result of the "ls" command.

(hd0) (hd0, msdos9) (hd0, msdos8) (hd0, msdos7) (hd0, msdos6)
(hd0, msdos5) (hd0, msdos1) (hd1) (hd1, msdos1)

Some BIOS expose a removable media only when booting from it, so my
theory was that your BIOS did not expose the SD card and GRUB could
not see it. The result of ls proves me wrong.

Can you also report the output of "ls (hd1,msdos1)" to check what GRUB
sees of the partition on the card ?

It gives the partitioning description, UUID, and label of the USB flash
drive that was plugged in. It is FAT formatted and used to exchange
information with my Windows machine.

USB drive ? Then (hd1) is not the SD card ? If you boot with no USB
drive plugged in, there is no (hd1), right ?

Correct on all counts. IIUC the SD card slot is connected to a USB hub. When not the booted system, it automatically mounted in the same apparent manner as a USB flash drive.

Then the SD card does not
appear as a usable device for GRUB and my twisted theory may still be
correct after all.

Any suggested reading on the "BASH like shell" I just used?

The GRUB manual at <https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html>

It was what prompted me to ask ;/

Sorry, I do not know any better documentation.