Re: Possibly erroneous "device not present" message during boot

On Fri 14 Apr 2017 at 12:05:38 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 04/13/2017 05:55 PM, Brian wrote:
> >On Thu 13 Apr 2017 at 20:05:22 +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> >
> >>David is right : you don't really boot from the SD card.
> >
> >The OP never claimed he was booting from the SD card. He particularly
> >said he did not install GRUB to the card.
> >
> >>GRUB is on the HDD. The kernel is on the HDD. Only the root filesystem is on
> >>the SD card.
> >
> >Yes. That's what the linux line says too.
> >

> I'll try to clarify some details.
>
> My installation protocol.
>  1. I always use "Expert" as that way the installer will
>     do fewer things I'm not aware of.
>  2. I only install Grub the *first* time I do a Debian install.
>     By poor design Grub puts the current install first on menu.

When are you going to let this drop?

On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 13:53:59 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:

| What I *REQUIRE* is that GRUB2's menu list available OS monotonically
| by partition number. For reasons of logic and sanity the menu items
| should be in the order of
| sda1, sda2, ..., sdaMAX. I could work with sdaMAX, ..., sda2, sda1 .
|
| The purpose AND rationale SHALL be that the default OS choice *SHALL
| BE* the first OS installed.

>     When experimenting with configuration as I do, the least
>     likely install to be functional is the latest.
>     This requires me to run update-grub on the "good" install.
>  3. Similarly a swap partition is specified only on the first
>     install as the installer insists on destroying the UUID of
>     the existing swap partition. It is simpler to edit only the
>     fstab of latest install than to edit those for all other
>     installs each time.
>  4. All installs in this thread have been done using DVD 1 of
>     13 of Debian 8.6.0 - thus all intrinsically use the same
>     kernel.
>
> I've done some additional observations and test installs.
> 1. The BIOS of the Lenovo T510 can be directed to boot from
>    the CD/DVD drive, hard disk, or any attached USB flash
>    drive. It *cannot* be directed to boot from the SD card.
> 2. I did an install to a USB flash drive including installing
>    Grub2 to the MBR of that flash drive. When selecting the
>    SD card from the grub menu I see nothing different.
> 3. I did a new install to the SD card specifying a different set
>    of packages and installing grub to the MBR of the SD card.
>    Once again no behavioral difference.

Observation 1 would make that inevitable, wouldn't it. Unless, of
course, you stick your SD card in a card reader. These little gizmos
used to be bundled with SD cards when you bought them; I don't know if
they still are. I have a large one that came free with the first
(only) SD card I bought, and a couple of tiny ones that came with
SDmicros bought a long while back. The latter also come with
converters so that you can put an SDmicro in the SD reader or an SD
slot.

> Does any of this justify a bug report. Especially as I do not
> have the bandwidth to do a netinstall of a pre-release version?

You've posted your grub.cfg but I haven't bothered to try and
reverse engineer how you produced it. I haven't seen any
behaviour yet that I would call a bug. What did you have in mind?
You could say whether you think the bug is in the _generation_ of
grub.cfg or in its _execution_ when you boot.

Cheers,
David.