Re: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer

	Hi.

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 00:34:14 -0500
rlharris@oplink.net wrote:

> Yesterday in the office of my associate, I tried without success to
> install a HP LaserJet 2100TN in a wired local area network (LAN)
> consisting of nothing but a i386 running Windows 8, a modem (which I think
> also is router) and an ethernet switch.
>
> Through Control Panel, I learned that the computer had ip address
> 192.168.100.3.  The HP2100 printed a configuration report which indicated
> an ip address of 192.168.1.201.

Did this 'configuration report' mention the netmask used by printer?
What about printer's MAC?

> It occurred to me to use telnet to access the printer and reconfigure the
> ip address.  But the Windows command prompt did not understand "telnet".
>
> Thereupon I connected directly to the printer a laptop running Jessie
> (with Xfce desktop), using an ethernet cable.  NetworkManager Applet
> (0.9.10.0) did not make a connection.

NetworkManager is unnecessary complex tool for such simple task.
A simple sequence of 'ip link set' and 'ip address add' is sufficient
for such things.

> And then I would like to know the proper way to reconfigure this printer.
> If the "modem" indeed has an internal router with DHCP server, then I
> think that the printer should utilize DHCP.

You do not need to guess here. Run tcpdump at your laptop, power cycle
the printer. As long as you see requests to 0.0.0.0 udp port 67 - the
printer uses DHCP for configuration.

Reco