Re: Fwd: New problem with GIMP plugin file-jpeg

On 30/01/2015, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
> On 2015-01-29, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> As I said, I successfully open jpeg files from the console
>>> (gimp <file.jpeg>), as well as from inside the gimp (using gimp's
>>> internal
>>> file manager).
>>
>> Then, in the absence of information to the contrary, I assume that you
>> also are not able to open a JPEG file using the procedure that I
>> specified; using the File Manager, clicking on the file with the
>> non-dominant mouse button, and selecting the menu option <Open with ->
>> GIMP> .
>>

> What "File Manager" are you talking about again?  I missed that part I
> guess.

The name for it is actually "File Browser". It has as its icon, a two
drawer filing cabinet. It is in the Applications -> System Tools menu.

> Works in Nautilus using your procedure (well, non-dominant mouse
> button--I right-clicked--is that what you mean)?

I try to consistently use the term "non-dominant mouse button" rather
than "right-clicking", to allow for people who use left handed mice,
as well as right-handed mice. My wife, who is a software developer,
uses mice and pointing devices (she sometimes uses trackball things),
for both hands, due to too much mouse usage, requiring the switching
of hands.

I have since last posting, checked, and found that file-jpeg is part
of the GIMP package, from  the packages "Search by package contents"
facility on the packages.debian.org web page, and, not, as I had
assumed, part of the fiole package.

So, I tried the advice - removed then reinstalled the GIMP. That also
removed gnome-office (that I also reinstalled).

Now the GIMP will not load.

I assume, therefore, that my system is becoming even more unstable.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."