Re: debian package policy?

On 01/29/2015 08:34 PM, Hans wrote:
> Dear maintainers,
>
> some time ago, I asked, why some packages are in stable, NOT in testing, but
> in unstable.
>
> At this post, I promised, to ask again, when i find such a package.
>
> Now I found one: snort. You can find snort in stable, NOT in testing, but in
> unstable. Weired.....
>
> Best
>
> Hans

Hi Hans,

Generally, new & updated packages are uploaded to unstable, and then
automatically transition to testing once certain conditions are met.

Testing is where each release is taken from. At certain points in the
release cycle, packages are automatically removed from testing when they
have Release Critical bugs.

If the maintainer is not able to fix the bugs in time (it must
transition from unstable to testing again), it is possible that the
release will happen without the package.

Cheers,

Ross