Re: Fwd: New problem with GIMP plugin file-jpeg

On 29/01/2015, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

Thank you, Curt, for your quick response.

> On 2015-01-29, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was unable to open that file.
>>
>> I now can not open JPEG files with the GIMP.
>>
>> The error message returned, includes
>>
>> "
>> GIMP Message
>>
>> Plug-in crashed: "file-jpeg"
>> (/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/file-jpeg)
>>
>> The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may
>> want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.
>>
>> GIMP Message
>>
>> Opening '<file name including path>' failed: Procedure
>
> Works for me using Squeeze lts, both from the console and once the
> application is running. (Opening jpegs with the gimp, that is).

The way that I had tried to open the JPEG files (I should probably
have included this information), was finding the files, using the File
Manager, clicking on the files with the non-dominant mouse button, and
then selecting the menu option <Open with -> GIMP>.

This method has consistently worked, prior to the occurrence of this
problem, and is useful, in directories full of image files, whose
names (of the files) I do not remember.

> There is this bug report:

That just gives me a web page that displays
"Redirecting you to https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=734519";
that goes nowhere.

> Perhaps if you tried moving ~/.gimp-2.6 out of the way, or reinstalling
> the gimp?

Haven't tried either of those options, yet.

I was thinking that, due to the circumstances involved, perhaps a
fault lies (?) with the update that was done to the file package.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."