Re: Backup's to DVD

On Tue 18 Mar 2014 at 20:09:03 +0400, Reco wrote:

> Can you guys please take the reminder of this enlightening discussion to
> D-community-offtopic@lists.alioth.debian.org?

My Dear Reco and fellow subscribers to this esteemed List,

My caravan departure has been delayed. There is a security issue and the
camels need bricking (details available on request, but you really don't
want to know).

I realise (and I'm sure Myceneaen Magic does too) that we have let our
commercial interests override our responsibility to help and advise
users of the Debian OS. The thread drifted after I posted a serious
comment about the longevity of stored data on CD, DVD and USB media. I
realise now it could have been couched in better terms and promise to
up the standard of my responses and make amends in future.

We let our emotions dictate our responses. In spite of our difference I
think his product (lasting a proven 5000 years) and mine (good for at
least 3000 years) are both top-of-the-range when you want the integrity
of your data to be inviolate for many generations.

So Reco, my friend, how do CD, DVD and USB media compare? We would
welcome your input on this; will my family photographs or the deeds to
my house be viewable on these modern devices in a thousand years time?

(You may omit any discussion about the quantum energy changes occuring
spontaneously in magnetic and optical materials. Mentioning Heisenberg's
Uncertainty Principle would also allow Myceneaen Magic to start on about
volcanic action and clay stability, so it is better you keep quiet about
it).