Re: Backup's to DVD

On 18/03/14 11:02, PAPYRUS TECHNOLOGIES wrote:
> On Tue 18 Mar 2014 at 08:52:14 +1100, Myceneaen Magic wrote:

>>> Well observered, Sir. The same might be said for CDs and DVDs. Why
>>> anyone should entrust their data to such volatile media is beyond our
>>> comprehension.
>>>
>>> We are an very old, established company who operate in the Dead Sea area
>>> of the Middle East.
>>>
>>> Our product has a proven record and is used by many discerning clients
>>> who require the data they have entrusted to us to be accessible at any
>>> time. We offer a 3000 year guarantee that the material we use is
>>> suitable for long term storagei.
>>>
>>> We have scribes who rarely mistake 1s for 0s or vice versa. Employees
>>> who do are weeded out by our Quality Control Section and transferred to
>>> our sister company, Pyramid Enterprises PLC.
>>>
>>> Security of your data is of paramount importance to us; there is no
>>> compromise in this area of our operations. Even shepherd boys and goats
>>> are actively dissuaded from entering within a 10 km radius of our
>>> operations.
>>>
>>> Our distinguised clients Nefertiti, Isaiah and Tutankhamun have many,
>>> many good things to say about our services. Unfortunately, they are
>>> offline at present so are unable to answer your queries.
>>>
>>> Forget the Cloud - choose the Cave. You know it makes sense.
>>>

>> Yet another desperate attempt by a failing company to capitalize on this
>> list's readership by pushing unproven technology.
>> A passing fad - what next? Asterix trying to sell bolders as portable?
>>
>> Get with it - tablets are the only way to go.
>> Always have been been, always will be.
>>
>> Yours without wax, Proto Cuneiform
>>

>> --
>> Clay - it's here to stay and it's goat-proof!
>

> It's always the same; some attitudes never change. Introduce the most
> exciting invention since that of the abacus (thank you Jobs of Memphis)
> and some Stone Age Old Worlder chips in with a plea to continue the
> depletion of one of the Earth's non-renewable resources.
>
> Ever tried transporting the Epic of Gilgamesh from Babylon to Thebes in
> tablet form? Let me tell you, it's horrendous.
>
> Can't remember the number of donkeys and carts it took but the feed bill
> was astonomical. As for customs at the borders, they though we were
> importing buiding materials so the bribes mounted up. And don't have an
> accident; sticking the broken pieces back together is no fun, even after
> the pain in your toes has worn off.
>
> Papyrus: just a few sheets which can be rolled up and put in your
> pocket. Reading it while riding on the back of a camel is also a
> pleasant way of passing the time on a long journey.
>
> Someone who sold blank tablets once said 640 is enough for anyone. We
> envisage information as unlimited and we're expanding, with branches
> opened recently in Athens and Rome. Tomorrow the world!

It 'sounds' very attractive... until the donkey eats your backups.

Tablets - just do it! (no ink required)

For a limited time only we'll throw in not one, but two free reeds with
every order from debian user subscribers.

We built our reputation on tablets (and our office). They're a solid
investment in time proven technology. You can't build anything
substantial with papyrus. There's only one thing it's good for and
that's not writing on - but it does come on a roll.

--
Clay - it's here to stay and it's goat-proof!