Re: Backup's to DVD

On 19/03/14 08:03, PAPYRUS TECHNOLOGIES wrote:
> On Tue 18 Mar 2014 at 20:09:03 +0400, Reco wrote:
>
>> Can you guys please take the reminder of this enlightening
>> discussion to D-community-offtopic@lists.alioth.debian.org?
>
> My Dear Reco and fellow subscribers to this esteemed List,

Especially the esteemed subscribers to this list....

> My caravan departure has been delayed. There is a security issue and
> the camels need bricking (details available on request, but you
> really don't want to know).
>
> I realise (and I'm sure Myceneaen Magic does too) that we have let
> our commercial interests override our responsibility to help and
> advise users of the Debian OS. The thread drifted after I posted a
> serious comment about the longevity of stored data on CD, DVD and USB
> media. I realise now it could have been couched in better terms and
> promise to up the standard of my responses and make amends in
> future.
>
> We let our emotions dictate our responses.

I suspect some may have taken the humour at face value, when it was
simply a humorous highlighting of some of the overlooked (evaluation)
issues involved in deciding a suitable backup strategy.

OK - it 'may' have been mostly humour for the sake of humour (I can't
speak for PAPYRUS TECHNOLOGY, at least until the lawyers have finalised
our takeover of their business).

> In spite of our difference I think his product (lasting a proven 5000
> years) and mine (good for at least 3000 years) are both
> top-of-the-range when you want the integrity of your data to be
> inviolate for many generations.
>
> So Reco, my friend, how do CD, DVD and USB media compare? We would
> welcome your input on this; will my family photographs or the deeds
> to my house be viewable on these modern devices in a thousand years
> time?

One consideration not included in many backup evaluation matrices is a
complete evaluation of the risk. Ralf has noted that solely relying on
on-site backups is, um, less than optimal (oxymoronic?).

On-line backups have major failings too:-
;you're relying on an entity you've never met, often in another country
subject to different laws, with unknown[*1] media management and backup
strategies.
;when you *need* that on-line backup restored where did you put the
contacts, account details, and recovery tools?

[*1] My experience is that claims and assumed expectations don't always
match reality.

Any backup strategy should be based on "how much will it hurt if I lose
it", and include careful consideration about *how* you will restore it
when you need it[*2].  As PAPYRUS TECHNOLOGY notes - recovering the data
is of little use if the knowledge, hardware, and software needed to make
information out of the data when that backup becomes a worthwhile
investment. i.e. if you backup WORM drives you'll need to separately
backup the software, hardware, and necessary manuals. CDs, and even
Blueray and magnetic/Flash drives won't be supported forever.

As a general rule - a single backup strategy is not as useful as
multiple separate ones. Risk and "how much will it hurt" should be the
determining factors in deciding how, and how often, is appropriate.

Now that we've acquired PAPYRUS TECHNOLOGY (at a knock-down price plus a
small consideration to the camel train company) I'd suggest if the
information is "heirloom" value, consider printing it on acid-free paper
and placing it in a bank vault.

[*2]too often we get calls from customers who neglected to retain a
Linear B fluent staff member.

> (You may omit any discussion about the quantum energy changes
> occuring spontaneously in magnetic and optical materials. Mentioning
> Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle would also allow Myceneaen Magic
> to start on about volcanic action and clay stability, so it is better
> you keep quiet about it).

:)
And let's say nothing of acidic papyrus.

Yours without wax, Proto Cuneiform

--
The enemy of ignorance and faith is knowledge and humour