Re: Backup's to DVD

On Tue 18 Mar 2014 at 11:34:29 +1100, Myceneaen Magic wrote:

> On 18/03/14 11:02, PAPYRUS TECHNOLOGIES wrote:

> >> Yet another desperate attempt by a failing company to capitalize on this
> >> list's readership by pushing unproven technology.
> >> A passing fad - what next? Asterix trying to sell bolders as portable?
> >>
> >> Get with it - tablets are the only way to go.
> >> Always have been been, always will be.
> >>
> >> Yours without wax, Proto Cuneiform
> >>

> >> --
> >> Clay - it's here to stay and it's goat-proof!
> >

> > It's always the same; some attitudes never change. Introduce the most
> > exciting invention since that of the abacus (thank you Jobs of Memphis)
> > and some Stone Age Old Worlder chips in with a plea to continue the
> > depletion of one of the Earth's non-renewable resources.
> >
> > Ever tried transporting the Epic of Gilgamesh from Babylon to Thebes in
> > tablet form? Let me tell you, it's horrendous.
> >
> > Can't remember the number of donkeys and carts it took but the feed bill
> > was astonomical. As for customs at the borders, they though we were
> > importing buiding materials so the bribes mounted up. And don't have an
> > accident; sticking the broken pieces back together is no fun, even after
> > the pain in your toes has worn off.
> >
> > Papyrus: just a few sheets which can be rolled up and put in your
> > pocket. Reading it while riding on the back of a camel is also a
> > pleasant way of passing the time on a long journey.
> >
> > Someone who sold blank tablets once said 640 is enough for anyone. We
> > envisage information as unlimited and we're expanding, with branches
> > opened recently in Athens and Rome. Tomorrow the world!
> >

> It 'sounds' very attractive... until the donkey eats your backups.
>
> Tablets - just do it! (no ink required)
>
> For a limited time only we'll throw in not one, but two free reeds with
> every order from debian user subscribers.
>
> We built our reputation on tablets (and our office). They're a solid
> investment in time proven technology. You can't build anything
> substantial with papyrus. There's only one thing it's good for and
> that's not writing on - but it does come on a roll.
>

> --
> Clay - it's here to stay and it's goat-proof!

Are these tablets the same ones which were used to build this tower at
Babel? We all know what happened there. You'll have to do better if you
want to play with the big boys.

Our R&D Department is also well ahead of you in devising a new product.
Innovation means new markets; our objective is 5 in every home in the
known world. Let's see you do *that* with clay (wet or sun-baked).

Wake up and smell the grass.

P.S. You appear to have a fixation on donkeys and goats. Medical help
is available to deal with the condition.