Re: systemd-free alternatives are not off topic.

On 11/24/2014 11:01 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 25/11/14 02:01, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell, the obvious things that go into the "Debian way"
>>> for installing custom software are:
>>>
>>> 1) If your software isn't installed via Debian's packaging system, avoid
>>> conflicts with the packaging system by installing it in places that
>>> Debian's packaging system is not supposed to manipulate (e.g. /usr/local)
>>>

>> Sometimes.  Often, though, they go in places like /bin or /sbin - as was
>> done in Unix 25 years ago.
>
> (newsflash?)
> UNIX != Linux

Yes, I know.  However, that does not change the fact they started with
Unix years ago.  And Linux was basically built to be a free replacement
for Unix.

> and,dist-upgrades won't over-ride binaries or scripts *unless* the sys
> admin has failed (BP and admin 101) by installing packages with names
> that conflict with regular distro supplied binaries/scripts.
> Dependencies for custom installs *should* be catered for by the
> "installing admin" - apt is good, but it's not magical (neither is any
> package manager). i.e. expect the impossible and prepare for failure
> (and don't expect professional credits).

As I said - their custom code does not have packages associated with
them.  And the code is nowhere in any repository - Debian or otherwise -
except in their own systems.

>>> 2) If your software needs an "init script", make sure that your script
>>> includes a correct LSB header and supports at least the "standard" verbs
>>> with their expected meanings.
>>>

>> Some do, some don't.  Many times they are just simple scripts to start a
>> daemon because they don't depend on another system daemon starting.
>
> Agreed - but not useful in 'this' context. Does not parse. Please expand
> - specifics would be useful (pretend you're writing a use-case for
> change control). Your time is not less or more valuable than any one
> else's (an hour is worth exactly one hour).

They are useful in that they do their job, and someone doesn't have to
learn LSB headers (or pass it off to another programmer who does
understand the headers).  All that is needed is some basic dash skills.
 And that saves company time and money.

Jerry