Re: fvwm: was i3 sticky/floating windows (brasero requires gvfs)

  On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 17:51:41 -0700 Vincent mentioned this:
	Re: fvwm: was i3 sticky/floating windows (brasero requires
  gvfs).

> On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Charlie <ariestao@ipstarmail.com.au>
> wrote:
> >
> >   On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 16:20:27 +0200 lee mentioned this:
> >         Re: fvwm: was i3 sticky/floating windows (brasero requires
> >   gvfs).

> >> Please check out [1] --- let me know if it works for you and how
> >> you like it.
> >>

> >> [1]: https://github.com/lee-/fvwm
> >>

> >> --
> >> Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.
> >

> >   From my keyboard:
> >
> >    Hello Lee,
> >
> >       I've just had a cursory read and you have put a lot of effort
> >       into this. Thank you on behalf of those of us who will
> > appreciate and use it.
> >
> > I have a meeting to attend this morning that will keep me away most
> > of the day, so I won't have the time to read all of it till I
> > return.
> >
> > But just quickly and without the history why I moved from fvwm to
> > xfce4.
> >
> > I used the win95 script to get an fvwm setup quickly. I'm tweaking
> > as i go along as time permits.
> >
> > I wanted to get the Debian Menu into the fvwm Root menu to get rid
> > of the taskbar but have not found yet, how that can be done.
> >

> Examples of how the Debian menu is configured and used is provided as
> part of the Fvwm package, under /usr/share/doc/fvwm/examples/.
>
> It is composed of three parts:
> 1. A function definition
>
> DestroyFunc SetDebianMenu
> AddToFunc SetDebianMenu
> + I Read /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook
>
> Which when called will read from the menudefs.hook under
> /etc/X11/fvwm/. This menudefs.hook defines the structure of the Debian
> menu, but is not yet linked to your personal menu. The name of the
> Debian menu is "/Debian".
>
> 2. Calling the function
>
> Test (f /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook) SetDebianMenu
>
> Which will first test if the menu exists, then calls the function
> defined in step 1. This line can be put anywhere you like, as long as
> it's after the function definition.
>
> 3. Add the Debian menu to your menu
>
> Test (f /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook) + "Debian Menu" Popup "/Debian"
>
> Insert this as part of your menu definitions, under 'AddToMenu ...'.
> This instructs Fvwm to insert an entry to popup the menu "/Debian".
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Vincent Chen

  From my keyboard:

   Hello Vincent,

      Thanks you for that. Doesn't do it for me. I want to get rid of
      the taskbar and just have the Debian menu available through the
      left mouse click on the desktop instead.

But it doesn't work for me at all. I can get rid of the taskbar, but
then I don't have a Debian menu I can call up every application in the
Debian menu in a terminal, but that's just too tedious.

In my menus - Root Menu - there is already this in part:

+ "&Restart%mini.turn.xpm%"		Popup Restart
+ "&Quit fvwm%mini.stop.xpm%"		FvwmForm
FvwmForm-QuitVerify Test (f /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook) +
"$[gt.&Update My Debian Menu]%menu/terminal.xpm%" PipeRead
'update-menus &&  echo "Read $./menudefs.hook"'

But It doesn't show up so I might have to edit it, but don't know how.
So will have to keep playing about when I get time.

Thanks for your help though, it's much appreciated.

Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important
	that you do it. -- Gandhi