Re: brasero requires gvfs

Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> writes:

> On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 21:54:56 +0200
> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>>
>> Can you have, say, KDE on Gentoo without systemd?  "Without systemd"
>> means *all* of systemd, like systemd-login0 etc..
>
> But in answer to your question, my official answer is "I don't know."
> Now I'll give you a guess: KDE functioned, um, as well as it can ever
> function, long before the invention of systemd, so I'd assume it still
> could function that way on a systemd-less system.

It didn't really function a few years ago when I tried it.

> And this KDE discussion brings into sharp focus my real gripe about
> systemd: I can use any distro I want in a KDE-free configuration. No
> big deal: if I'm willing to do without k3b, I can do it. But to get a
> systemd-free configuration, I need to change distros or change to
> OpenBSD.

The problem is that changing distros won't help because they all depend
on systemd.  Gentoo probably doesn't create its own versions of all
kinds software depending on systemd for not to depend on it, does it?

And who knows what kind of problems you run into when you switch to some
BSD.  Are there NVIDIA drivers for some BSD?  Is everything I'm using
now available for some BSD?

> By the way, if you wonder why I'm being so hard on KDE, these three
> articles explain:

Well, I'm using fvwm.  Unlike KDE, it does exactly what I want, doesn't
get into my way and is much less buggy.  Why would I use KDE?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.