Re: View on UNIX purism in Linux Community

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:25:16 -0400
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:

> So... to whomever it was that said GNU is irrelevant, or words to
> that effect... Debian, and most (all?) Linux distros are very much
> dependent on GNU.  Arguably, Debian is more intertwined with GNU than
> with the Linux kernel (can you say Debian GNU/kFreeBSD?).

'Twas I, and as systemd is neither GNU nor pre-GNU Unix, mention of GNU
within the discussion would appear to be irrelevant, and indeed, Off
Topic.

One of the best-known precepts of Unix, which applies equally to GNU,
inspired the thread title, i.e. systemd does *not* aspire to Do One
Thing Well. Mention of 'Unix' in that context does not exclude GNU,
this is not a Stallman v. Rest of Universe issue.

--
Joe