Re: View on UNIX purism in Linux Community

Doug writes:
 > On 09/16/2014 03:00 AM, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
 >
 > > And the GNU project started in 1984, so in the early '90 we already
 > > were working on bash an gcc and start enjoying the GNU version of
 > > some command in an improved Unix experience.
 > >
 > AH! You said it yourself! "...an improved _Unix_ experience."
 > (Emphasis added.)

Yes, I said "improved". But I said "Unix experience" because it was
still a full Unix experience.

The improvement was from some GNU commands being more feature rich
than the standard counterpart (but work perfectly well if used in the
standard way): the bash shell has better editing and history (a bit
better than ksh) but run all the Bourne Shell scripts; with the GNU
tar you could have used the shorter "tar -zxvf file.tar.gz" and type
less, but "gizip file.tar.gz | tar -xvf -" worked perfectly.

If you turn GNU/Linux in a Windows-poor-lookalike it is no more a Unix
experience.

Often in the past young people arrived screaming "We have the great
new thing that will change all", and a lot of "great new things" were
lost in time like tears in rain...

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO