Re: microkernels (I'm not a huge fan of systemd)

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 17:51:11 -0400 (EDT)
davidson@ling.ohio-state.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jul 2014, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:32:29 -0400
> > Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:
> >
> >> On 07/15/2014 10:37 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> [snip]
> >>     It would be interesting to read Linus's comments on
> >> MicroKernels...and why Linux is the way it is. Has he ever
> >> commented ?
> >
> > As I remember, and I could be wrong, he said he went monolithic
> > because that's what he could do quickly, by himself. The long road
> > to hurd kind of proved that microkernel is difficult to implement.
> >
> > One of my favorite sayings is "The perfect is the enemy of the
> > good".
>
> If a djinni offered me the chance to snuff out of existence a single
> phrase of my choosing, and if I were foolish enough to accept the
> offer, that'd be the one I'd pick.

Not a lot to say here. You and I have a belief discrepancy that goes
way beyond systemd, or microkernels, or operating systems, or anything
else. It's nothing less than a basic foundation of our respective
behaviors.

As to your Melville quote, all I can say is that the entire time I was
a software developer, I never got paid for thinking, or writing a
specification or design, or delivering anything that didn't run. But I
got paid for a lot of quick and dirty software (and agreed to be quick
and dirty by the client and myself) that did the job, but with the
army-surplus aesthetics. Because when it came to their wallets, my
clients agreed with me that the perfect was the enemy of the good.

Hey, I'm not saying you necessarily want to shop at Walmart. But unless
money is no object, you might not want to shop at Nieman-Marcus either.

SteveT