Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

Le 08.07.2014 00:46, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :
On Lu, 07 iul 14, 23:41:59, Miroslav Hrabal wrote:

Regarding reboot and shutdown, it's possible to handle this giving
regular users sudo permission to use /sbin/shutdown (or halt/reboot), isn't it? Regarding automounting, I thought that it's usually handled
by gvfs? Why would anybody had to use systemd because of it?
(Sorry if I'm mistaken)

Because you can't do it securely, unless you can reliably and securely
distinguish between users that are logged on locally or remote[1].

Just imagine that "fun" one can have on a multi-user system by remotely:
- shutting down the system
- reading contents of removable storage
- listening in on audio streams (even the microphone)
- recording from the webcam (bonus points for disabling the activity
  led)

If you find a way to solve this by using only traditional Unix groups
I'm sure a lot of people would like to know how.

I can't, but I want to ask some questions about that problem you describe.
Are remote desktop the majority of linux uses?
Do you really need remote capabilities when you use your own computer?
What is the need of remote desktops on servers which are not dedicated?

In short, is it smart to give a dependency to everyone for something which seems really addressing a problem for a minority? Especially when it makes that much noise?

Indeed, it's nice to have a software able to solve those issues. But, why not only making it a opt-in, instead of opt-out? Because of the major DEs? Seriously, I think they are wrong since the day I definitely switched on linux, from windows, because windows'DE tries to do too much, and so takes a lot more resources that it really should. But... I am not trying to impose my opinion and my uses to everyone (ok, to be honest, when I can convince someone to use i3, I try hehe. But I will never ask for the removal of gnome as the default Debian's DE.).