Re: microkernels (I'm not a huge fan of systemd)

On 07/15/2014 10:37 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 06:36:54 +0000
Bonno Bloksma <b.bloksma@tio.nl> wrote:

Hi,

Steve Litt wrote at 2014-07-11 11:21 -0500:
A bizarre thought just popped into my head, in the form of a
little voice. The little voice told me that if they guys who
controlled the decision to go to systemd had been the decision
makers in 1990, Linux would have a microkernel today.

Regarding history and microkernels, this document about the
reliability features of Minix is very interesting:

http://www.minix3.org/docs/jorrit-herder/osr-jul06.pdf

Hmm, very nice to read. It proves that an inherent stable OS using a
microkernel design is possible. And they even build and tested it in
the wild.

Bonno Bloksma

Yes, that article was surprisingly logical and laid out the case for a
microkernel extremely well. I hereby take back my original statement.
The microkernel is 5K lines of code. I have a feeling that systemd has a
few more lines of code than that.

It would be interesting to read Linus's comments on MicroKernels...and why Linux is the way it is. Has he ever commented ?

--
1984 was not meant as a blueprint for
democratic governments.