Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 23:20:15 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Lu, 07 iul 14, 21:33:54, Miroslav Hrabal wrote:
> >
> > Why do you think that OpenRC isn't viable alternative? AFAIK on Gentoo
> > it works quite well. I'm currently playing with it on Debian and i
> > haven't had any problems so far.
>
> Because the two major DEs (KDE and Gnome) depend on functionality not
> provided by OpenRC. It's possible that even the smaller ones will have
> to start using systemd-logind as well, sooner rather than later, just to
> be able to provide basic functions like reboot, shutdown, auto mounting,
> etc.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --
> http://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser
> Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:

Well, considering Unix philosophy, as init system OpenRC shouldn't provide things like multi-seat/multi-session (if it's what you meant). Systemd's merging of e.g. udev on the other hand just annoy me. Since ConsoleKit isn't maintained anymore, it's natural that somebody develops alternative. But why should be multi-seat/multi-season part of systemd (and depend on it)? Regarding reboot and shutdown, it's possible to handle this giving regular users sudo permission to use /sbin/shutdown (or halt/reboot), isn't it? Regarding automounting, I thought that it's usually handled by gvfs? Why would anybody had to use systemd because of it?
(Sorry if I'm mistaken)

Miroslav Hrabal <hrabalmir1@gmail.com>