Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 13:12:26 +0200
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> I can't, but I want to ask some questions about that problem you
> describe.
> Are remote desktop the majority of linux uses?
> Do you really need remote capabilities when you use your own computer?
> What is the need of remote desktops on servers which are not
> dedicated?
>
> In short, is it smart to give a dependency to everyone for something
> which seems really addressing a problem for a minority? Especially
> when it makes that much noise?
>
> Indeed, it's nice to have a software able to solve those issues. But,
> why not only making it a opt-in, instead of opt-out?
> Because of the major DEs? Seriously, I think they are wrong since the
> day I definitely switched on linux, from windows, because windows'DE
> tries to do too much, and so takes a lot more resources that it
> really should. But...
> I am not trying to impose my opinion and my uses to everyone (ok, to
> be honest, when I can convince someone to use i3, I try hehe. But I
> will never ask for the removal of gnome as the default Debian's DE.).

I just realized why I'm skeptical about what I've heard about systemd.
My first car was a 1959 Plymouth with a 3 speed manual and a flathead 6
engine. You could hold a dance in the engine compartment. I could do a
complete tune-up, including timing, in 30 minutes, using just an 8 inch
adjustable wrench and a gapping tool.

Now I have a very nice 2012 Jeep Patriot, with power windows and locks
(only one keyhole on the whole thing). I wouldn't even try to replace
the air filter on it. A certain part of my longs for my 59 Plymouth.

One could say that if I really believed in that philosophy, I'd use
Slackware or Arch. That's a valid argument, as is the fact that I
wouldn't use a 12 mile per gallon 59 Plymouth anymore. But there's a
spectrum. Yeah, I'm not going to use a 59 Plymouth anymore, but if it
had been available, I would have chosen a model without electric
windows, electronic doorlocks, electronic entry, speed sensitive
steering and suspension. If I could have it without messing up the air,
I'd prefer not to have all that smog control equipment bolted all over
the engine, making it impossible for an owner to do a decent tuneup.

Likewise, I might not be up to the 40 step manual installation of Arch,
or the no-dependency packaging system of Slackware, or the
compile-your-kernel during installation Gentoo, but I'm not going with
Mint or Redhat+KDE either.

SteveT