Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

Steve Litt wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 13:12:26 +0200
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

I can't, but I want to ask some questions about that problem you
describe.

I just realized why I'm skeptical about what I've heard about systemd.
My first car was a 1959 Plymouth with a 3 speed manual and a flathead 6
engine. You could hold a dance in the engine compartment. I could do a
complete tune-up, including timing, in 30 minutes, using just an 8 inch
adjustable wrench and a gapping tool.
<snip>
Likewise, I might not be up to the 40 step manual installation of Arch,
or the no-dependency packaging system of Slackware, or the
compile-your-kernel during installation Gentoo, but I'm not going with
Mint or Redhat+KDE either.

You know - that kind of captures my reaction too.

I run some servers, they work, they also have an evolved configuration of software that works quite nicely. It's all relatively mature software and configuration (and that includes all the dependencies, init files, configs, logging, and so forth).

Now folks are going off and making radical changes to underlying plumbing that has been working just fine for years. Guaranteed that:
1. Something will break
2. It will be a bitch and a half to figure out what's going on, and how to fix it 3. There's a good chance that fixing what breaks will turn out to involve dependencies that haven't been updated to work with systemd

I'm kind of reminded of spending two days to figure out that udev had changed the device numbering associated with a new ethernet card - which blew all of our network configurations out of the water. The hairs on the back of my neck are warning me that my next Debian upgrade is going to bring lots of similar pain.

Miles Fidelman