Re: watching films full screen

On Tue, 8 Jul 2014 10:22:53 -1000
Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:

> That's interesting to me to hear you say this. Dealing
> with a variety of video formats, I find mpv (based on
> mplayer) to be much more tolerant of video formats.
>
> Most recently, I observed the VLC won't handle MTS format
> videos copied from a video camera, which mplayer/mpv
> plays back just fine.

You can't judge a SW from one problem.

From the beginning, code was taken from vlc, and from
what I understood at this time, vlc devs were mad
because there was no reference to they're work (except
at the terms of GPL: copyleft retained in source code);
there was also rants from player when code was flaky
which did help to pace minds.

Vlc (AFA the original way was preserved) is also strict
on RFCs and standards (which are usually badly respected,
even by their creators).

From what I saw, vlc is also faster to troubleshoot.

About MTS trouble, vlc doesn't claim to support it:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.php?cat=video
a common troubleshooter is to convert it to AVI (or MOV,
or whatever container supported by vlc) with avidemux
(use 'copy', don't transcode).

--
titix: seriously, I still don't understand.
titix: you want to be a physician, right