Re: Getting rights right

Just a shot in the dark --

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Diogene Laerce <me_buss777@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a strange behavior lately on my Deby. After a run of :
>
>     chown user:user -R /home/user/Documents
>
> and :
>
>     chmod 700 -R /home/user/Documents
>
> I run :
>
>     find /home/user/Documents ! -perm 0700
>
> But I still get a list of files like :
>
>    .
>    .
>    .
> /home/user/Documents/administrative/passport (2).png
> /home/user/Documents/administrative/00IMG_0006.jpg
> /home/user/Documents/administrative/IMG_0016.jpg
> /home/user/Documents/administrative/visit.appart
>    .
>    .
>    .
>
> Then if I checked their rights with :
>
>     ls -la /home/user/Documents/administrative
>
> They are anyway all well checked :
>
>     -rw-------
>
> Could someone have an idea of what is going on ? What should I believe ?
> The "find" command or the "ls" one ?
>
> Thank you
> --
> “One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.”
> “Le vrai n'est pas plus sûr que le probable.”
>
>                                               Diogene Laerce

Which commands did you run as root, or su/sudo root?

I have sometimes, especially when moving files between systems where
the numeric uids are different, found myself doing a recursive chmod
or chown, and being unable to change permissions on some files because
of the user I was running as. Then, after the directory permissions
changed, being able to change them on a second pass.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.