apt-get issues with download speed and server access

(Seems like I remember seeing a thread on this recently, but I don't
see it in the last week's posts.)

Last week, when the kernel update came down the pipe, most of the
packages had decent speed, but the kernel and some others were cut
down to about a fifth normal speed.

Yesterday or Saturday, when I ran apt-get update, I got server access
errors on wheezy, including backports and security. Ran apt-get clean
and the access errors went away.

Today, I get access errors again, and they go away after apt-get
clean. And all packages are downloading at about a fifth my max speed
from the provider.

I'm feeling a little paranoid about this. Should I just assume my
wan-side connection is getting saturated for some reason?

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.