Re: Getting rights right

On 06/22/2014 10:18 PM, Linux-Fan wrote:
> On 06/22/2014 04:58 PM, Diogene Laerce wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a strange behavior lately on my Deby. After a run of :
>>
>>     chown user:user -R /home/user/Documents
>>
>> and :
>>
>>     chmod 700 -R /home/user/Documents
>>
>> I run :
>>
>>     find /home/user/Documents ! -perm 0700
>>
>> But I still get a list of files like :
>
> [...]
>
>> Then if I checked their rights with :
>>
>>     ls -la /home/user/Documents/administrative
>>
>> They are anyway all well checked :
>>
>>     -rw-------
>>
>> Could someone have an idea of what is going on ? What should I believe ?
>> The "find" command or the "ls" one ?
>>
>> Thank you
>
> Both are correct. ls tells you -rw... which is 0600 while the find
> command does not display (and only hides) exactly 0700.

Actually I don't even get why they switch to 0600 instead of 0700.

> It could be possible that you opened and saved the files between the
> chmod and find and the application writing the files correctly (IMO)
> reset the permissions to non-executable 0600. Otherwise, it would be
> indeed strange for the permissions to magically change between chmod and
> find.

No, I didn't. I just did these operations consecutively.

Actually I verified the status of the backup (I rsync those folders
preserving the rights) and I don't have the same issue with those.

It seems that I have inconsistency in the home folder and I don't
understand why. Disk issue ? Too many reinstalls using the same home
with a different filesystem (I kind of tried squeeze, wheezy, ubuntu and
maybe even Jessie I don't remember, with the same home filesystem) ?

I guess I will have to format the disk, even recreate the dos table
maybe, and try to recopy the files on it to see if it does the trick.

Thank you anyway, I mostly wanted a confirmation before getting into
that. ;)

--
“One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.”
“Le vrai n'est pas plus sûr que le probable.”

                                              Diogene Laerce