Re: Getting rights right

On 06/22/2014 04:58 PM, Diogene Laerce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a strange behavior lately on my Deby. After a run of :
>
>     chown user:user -R /home/user/Documents
>
> and :
>
>     chmod 700 -R /home/user/Documents
>
> I run :
>
>     find /home/user/Documents ! -perm 0700
>
> But I still get a list of files like :

[...]

> Then if I checked their rights with :
>
>     ls -la /home/user/Documents/administrative
>
> They are anyway all well checked :
>
>     -rw-------
>
> Could someone have an idea of what is going on ? What should I believe ?
> The "find" command or the "ls" one ?
>
> Thank you

Both are correct. ls tells you -rw... which is 0600 while the find
command does not display (and only hides) exactly 0700.

It could be possible that you opened and saved the files between the
chmod and find and the application writing the files correctly (IMO)
reset the permissions to non-executable 0600. Otherwise, it would be
indeed strange for the permissions to magically change between chmod and
find.

HTH
Linux-Fan