Re: On what is helpful and what is not [was: Re: Wifi]

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:

On 03/10/2014 04:45 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Note:  My use of you/your etc is plural, singling out no individual
Note:  To everyone.  Don your Kevlar and CBRN suits ;)

I've been avoiding engaging this juvenile nonsense, but given some of
you whiny thin skinned PC police simply will not drop this bone,
apparently it's up to me to lay down the law.

I'm blunt, I'm curt, I'm brash, I'm confident.  I often ruffle the
feathers of thin skinned users, mostly new but on occasion old hands.  I
make no apologies because I get things done for people on this list, and
on occasion am the only member here who can get them the information
they need, at the level of technical depth required.  Constantly
worrying about the thickness of others' skin during the process is not
my responsibility, *especially* thin skinned whiny children who aren't
even the recipient of an incorrectly perceived insult.

As difficult as it is for some people to believe, tact and courtesy are virtues, not vices.

I've been doing tech support for at least 15 years and firmly believe that there is no such thing as a stupid question (what's obvious to one person isn't necessarily obvious to anyone else). And people can be tactfully told to RTM (to include reading FAQs) when it's appropriate to do so. In my case, I'll cite the manual when the answer is there.

John L. Ries              |
Salford Systems           |
Phone: (619)543-8880 x107 |
or     (435)867-8885      |