Re: On what is helpful and what is not [was: Re: Wifi]

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 13:10:11 +1100 (EST)
Charlie Schroeder <ariestao@ipstarmail.com.au> wrote:

>  On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:14:26 -0400 "Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com
>  littdom@gmail.com" suggested this:
>
> >But as Dave said, yelling at first-time poster for a non-repeated
> >minor mistake is just going to drive him over to Apple or back to
> >Microsoft, and once we've driven away a few million, don't come
> >crying to me when hardware vendors ignore Linux because almost
> >nobody's there.
>
> The more hyperbole you use doesn't make it so.

Yeah, the horse is dead, I'm going to quit beating it.

[clip]

> Be well,
> Charlie

Yes. I think I found a solution so everyone can be well. Although I'd
hoped my newer than newbie friends would move to Debian because of its
consistently stable performance, today I changed my recommendation to
Xubuntu, which will doubtlessly please the tough love crowd at
Debian-user, and will certainly be preferable for my friends, under the
circumstances. Converting to Linux will be tough enough for my friends
without their factual queries being countered with, well, you know. I
don't want my friends to end up associating Linux with that kind of
noise.

Of course, I'm still using Debian Stable on my laptop, because it
performs so darn well. And so I can communicate constructively on this
list, I filtered Stan and a couple of his most ardent supporters.

So, the tough love crowd wins, my friends win, and I win. Pretty cool,
huh?

SteveT