Re: On what is helpful and what is not [was: Re: Wifi]

On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 10:34 -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
   . . .
> 	The phoentic would be "noob". Which is part of my confusion. That and
> having never seen the word nub used in the context like you had

When I first read the sentence with "nub" in it I was completely
confused because I was reading it to rhyme with the English words "cub",
"rub" and "tub".  Two common meanings for that pronunciation are 1) a
knob or stub, as in "the nub of a cut-off finger", and 2) the heart or
core of something, as in "the nub of the problem" (I'd guess the second
meaning is the root of the Haskell function 'nub' which returns the list
of elements of a list with all duplicates removed).  Anyway after
reading the post more carefully I guessed that "nub" was being used for
"newb", and I conjectured that the writer was such a newb he didn't know
how to spell "newb"; obviously I was very wrong about that, sorry!

So perhaps the International Committee for the Preservation of the One
True Jargon will call a plenary session and vote to change the spelling
to "nube", in analogy with the English words "cube", "rube" and "tube",
all rhyming with "newb".  *sigh* Probably not.

--
Bill Wood