Re: Building computer - power supplies

On 9/28/2013 3:18 PM, Doug wrote:
> On 09/28/2013 03:23 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

>>> What I want to know is why Intel CPUs still need the +12V.
>>
>> They don't now and they never did.  The 8088 through 80486 and the first
>
> /snip/
>

>> Installing two voltage regulators next to the CPU socket and using
>> standard ~22 gauge copper wires from the 12V rail of the PSU solves the
>> problem cheaply.  The 12V rail was chosen because 3.6x less current is
>> required vs using the 3.3V rail as was used previously, which means much
>> smaller wires are needed.
> /snip/
>
> Do I understand correctly that there are two switching power supply
> chips at the input to the CPU to produce 3.3Volts? Obviously, a linera
> regulator cannot produce and gain in current. Iin = Iout for linear
> regulators.

No, the switching in the PSU is done on the AC current before
rectification, increasing the cycles from 60 Hz to 30-50 KHz.  The high
frequency AC, among other things, facilitates the conversion to DC, and
allows for a much smaller transformer, though the output has ripple,
unlike a battery, which provides true DC current.

I'm thinking my attempt at a simple explanation of PSU design in my
single vs dual rail rant was probably confusing, as it was technically
inaccurate.  Shame on me.

The cost difference I was referring to is in the components that lay
after the rectifier (which lay after the switching MOSFETs).  This is
mainly the regulator, which is also a MOSFET.  With a single 12V rail
design, the regulator FET is much larger and more expensive than the
combined smaller FETs in a multi-rail design.

However, another cost saving aspect to this I didn't mention previously
is component commonality.  If a vendor sizes it PSUs optimally, most if
not every PSU in the line can use the same regulator FETs.  For
instance, a 25A regulator can be used for a single 12V rail for any PSU
up to about 400W.  For PSUs between ~400-700W there will be two 25A
rails with two regulators.  For PSUs above ~700W there would be three
25A rails, and so on.  Since the same regulator is used in all models,
this regulator can be acquired in much larger volume with a greater
discount per unit.

With single rail designs one would need to acquire 5 or more sizes of
regulators which are progressively costlier per unit, and there is
little or no volume discount relative to above.  This is the major cost
driver for the multi-rail designs, not simply the per unit cost of
larger FETs.

--
Stan