Re: Building computer - power supplies

On 09/28/2013 03:23 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 9/27/2013 6:37 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
>>> A point I forgot to make.  This is something everyone should know.
>>>
>>> Subject:  The marketing myth of multiple +12V rails
>>> [...]
>>
>> What I want to know is why Intel CPUs still need the +12V.
>
> They don't now and they never did.  The 8088 through 80486 and the first

/snip/

> Installing two voltage regulators next to the CPU socket and using
> standard ~22 gauge copper wires from the 12V rail of the PSU solves the
> problem cheaply.  The 12V rail was chosen because 3.6x less current is
> required vs using the 3.3V rail as was used previously, which means much
> smaller wires are needed.
/snip/

Do I understand correctly that there are two switching power supply
chips at the input to the CPU to produce 3.3Volts? Obviously, a linera
regulator cannot produce and gain in current. Iin = Iout for linear
regulators.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley