Re: Building computer

On 09/26/2013 01:05 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 9/25/2013 12:52 PM, Catherine Gramze wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 25, 2013, at 12:52 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

/very large snip/

I just left this final section to illustrate the tome of the whole thing:

> The socket vs upgrade concern is not valid.  It will be at least 10
> years before desktop applications, especially Linux apps, are
> sufficiently threaded to take advantage of today's 4 core CPUs, let
> alone 6/8 cores.  New hardware doesn't make old hardware obsolete.  New
> software does.  There are many people, including myself, who would say
> this applies even to dual core CPUs.  And in fact, at the rate of
> desktop software development today, WRT threads, one is better off
> purchasing a higher clocked dual core CPU with lots of cache than a quad
> core model at a lower clock, especially given power consumption.
>
> Worrying about which future CPU will fit in your mobo socket is a waste
> of brain cycles.  It's irrelevant.  By the time you *need* to upgrade,
> you'll want newer faster DRAM, etc.  So you'll end up replacing the
> board, CPU, and memory, as people have been doing for some years
> already.  Oh, add to that the fact that AMD and Intel keep changing
> sockets to accelerate this trend.  The entire industry is better off
> when people keep buying new hardware, obviously, even if the consumers
> aren't.

Stan, I think the advice you've given Catherine will be useful to a lot
of folks who read this list. Particularly in regard to ram usage and
power supply size.

I have heard, however, that the _make_ of power supply may be important,
as some cheapies may not hold up. You might comment on that, and if
that's correct, possibly recommend a name or two.

An excellent presentation. I have put it in my "saved" file.

--doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley