Re: Building computer

On 9/24/2013 10:11 PM, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:10:01 +0200
> Catherine Gramze <rhiamom@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> there was no option in the BIOS to boot to the hard drive, or even to the EFI
> partition
>
> It surprises me to think you cannot select in your own BIOS the choice of booting
> from a CD. What kind of BIOS is that? With the latest testing version of the
> Debian installer, I would think you had the upper hand with the NTSF file system
> present. Just reformat the whole HD to Ext4 and load up a basic system and grub2.
> If that doesn't work then you better get a different BIOS or motherboard. Buying a
> store-bought computer means you've already paid for some OEM windows 8..this was
> a mistake, sorry dude.
>
> Maybe Stan Hoeppner  will wade in with a recommendation. If he does you will have
> come to right place.

There's a huge amount of what we call "channel" or "DIY" hardware out
there that works fine with Linux.  The only real issues are

1.  What's available in your local market and at what price point
2.  Choice of integrated GPU

For 'seamless' integration with stock Debian it's usually best to buy a
GPU that's a generation or two older than the bleeding edge.  Same goes
for the system chipset to a degree.  The newer the GPU the more time
you'll spend fighting with installing experimental kernels, modules,
x.org settings, etc.  If you need good 3D support you may have to do
some of this anyway, unfortunately.

Reply, and CC me, with your basic requirements/needs and your locale,
and I'll see if I can come up with a suitable parts list for you, and
vendors where you can purchase them.  The more "remote" your locale the
longer this will take as I have to first 'discover' vendors in your
region.  If you have a preferred vendor and provide their web address,
that'll make this quicker obviously.  If you're in the US, it'll be very
quick indeed, as we have Newegg.

--
Stan