Building computer

I intend to build a computer for the specific purpose of running Debian. I have had a bad experience with a store-bought computer, which seemed to be wholly unable to boot to anything but Windows 8 - there was no option in the BIOS to boot to the hard drive, or even to the EFI partition, but only to the Windows Boot Manager. Even with Secure Boot turned off.

So, I am looking for recommendations on hardware, particularly motherboards, known to play nicely with Debian and boot consistently. Building my own system is not new to me, but something I have not done for 10 years or so, so the appropriate BIOS settings on the new EFI and UEFI mobos are unknown to me. All advice is solicited.