Re: Building computer - power supplies

A point I forgot to make.  This is something everyone should know.

Subject:  The marketing myth of multiple +12V rails

Switching regulator MOSFETs provide the 3.3, 5/5VSB, and 12VDC output
current of a PC PSU.  Before the days of waffle iron CPUs and GPUs, PSUs
had a single 12V regulator providing a single 12V circuit, or "rail", at
about 16 amps, good for 16*12=192 watts.  That was sufficient for some
drives and adding a little extra power to the CPU socket via that 4 pin
plug, and a little extra to a hot graphics card in an AGP slot.

Then CPUs came along eating 130W and PCIe GPUs arrived eating 100W.
230/12=19A.  Oops, more than 16A, not quite enough amps for the CPU/GPU,
let alone my drives.  The initial response to this by the PSU industry
was simply to use larger switching MOSFETs and support devices in the
output circuit to give us ~25A on the 12V rail.  This worked well enough
for a while, even though the larger MOSFETs were a bit more expensive.
They simply increased the price a bit and passed it on to the
wholesaler, retailer, and the consumer.  No big deal.  Yet.

Then arrived the massive power hog GPUs and SLI/Xfire adding insult to
injury.  Some of these GPU combos require up to 300 watts (or much more
for quad SLI).  Add in an 8 core CPU pulling 75W from the 12V rail, and
now you need 31A, plus another 8A for spinning HDs, burners, etc.  So we
now need at least 40A of 12V power.  However, if you pull more than
85-90% of the maximum rail current, voltage will drop, and the system
will become unstable.  We need a safety margin of ~20%, so we now need
at least 48 amps of 12V power.  Let's just round that to 50, a nice even
number.  And, not coincidentally, we have a plethora of PSUs on the
market with dual 25A +12V rails.  Fancy that.

But why two at 25A instead of one at 50A?  Simple: component cost.  A
50A switching regulator and support devices costs significantly more
than using two sets of 25A devices.  In real terms it's not a huge
difference, let's say $8 vs $3.  So the price of your dual rail PSU
should have gone down by $5, right?  Wrong.  Here's why.

Some marketing genius at one of the PSU companies, years ago, figured
out that telling consumers "2 is better than 1" would work.  And he was
right.  People without the technical knowledge have been indoctrinated.
 The rest of the industry followed.  So not only are they saving $5 per
unit, they're charging the consumer $5 more per unit because "2 is
better than 1".  That's an extra $10 per unit, in essence, in the
manufacturers' pockets.  Now, if just one company produces and sells
100,000 units, that's an extra half $million in profit.  Not chump
change.  If they sell 6 models with dual rails, all at 100K units,
that's $3 million extra profit.

And what has the consumer gained from this?  Nothing.  It simply makes
wiring your PC more difficult, as you have to balance your 12V devices
across an arbitrary boundary placed across the 12V output current of
your power supply.

Look at any *real* server PSU.  Only one 12V rail, always has been,
always will be.  Some models go well over 100 amps on a single rail.
Here are two good SuperMicro examples.

Standard 865W ATX form factor PSU, single 70A 12V rail:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817377004

Proprietary form factor 1620W PSU, single 135A 12V rail:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817377052

And of course, now you should be asking yourself, given what I've
stated, and if 1 rail is better for servers, why are 2/3/4 rails
supposedly better for a consumer PC?  And of course the answer is, more
rails is not better.  It's worse.

It's exactly the same situation as digital camera marketeers convincing
consumers that a 12MP camera is intrinsically better than an 8MP camera.
 The simple fact is that even 2MP is sufficient for 99.9999% of all
users, because they share their photos online, not in print.  2MP camera
format is typically 1600x1200.  The average screen res, across desktops
and laptops, is far less.  Higher numbers sell, in America anyway.  The
big upshot for the industry?  8/12/16MP cameras need bigger flash cards
for a given number of snaps.  That equals more flash sales, etc, etc.
What is lost on most people is that *quality* 2/3MP cameras take better
quality pictures than cheap 16MP cameras.  Just look at the current
smartphones.  They ship with 8MP yes?  Seen the photos from one?  Yes,
they suck, horribly.

--
Stan