Re: Rmore details on network was Setting up a network Was: Re: a very carefully asked question?

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 03:14:05PM +0100, "Morel Bérenger" wrote:
> Le Mer 27 février 2013 15:01, Karen Lewellen a écrit :
>
> For your network card, if you have no network management daemons
> (networkmanager, by example. I do not know if there are other, but I think
> yes.), you can configure the file "/etc/network/interfaces".
>
> Here is mine (without wireless):
> > # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> > # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
> >
> > # The loopback network interface
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > # The primary network interface
> > allow-hotplug eth0
> > iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> You should have the same, but maybe if debian was installed without
> network, the 2 eth0 lines might be absent. If so, add them.
> Then, to start network for your session: "ifup eth0"
> Other sessions should not need such command, this will be automatic.

If this debian installation has seen more than one network card
installed in the past, the current card might be seen as eth1 or eth2.
To correct that, you can (as root):

rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

and then reboot.  That file is used to associate the mac address of a
network card with its "eth" designation.  If you remove it, it will be
regenerated on reboot and network card naming will start again at eth0.

-Rob