Re: I wish to advocate linux

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:24:02 -0500
Mark Filipak <markfilipak.linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2013/2/27 5:32 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Tuesday 26 February 2013 21:35:18 Mark Filipak wrote:
> >> An OS that is difficult to install is not a friendly OS. People
> >> understand this.
> >
> > I find Debian GNU/Linux significantly easier to install than
> > Windows.
>
> What a nonsensical statement. I've never successfully installed any
> distribution of Linux.

Yes, I tried Potato as well once, and failed. It offered an entire
screenful of possible mouse configurations, none of them correct. But
RedHat 5.2 worked OK.

More recent Debians haven't been any trouble. I put Squeeze on a small
HP server a few months ago, so I know things have not got suddenly
worse. Before I got the server, I'd been using old 32 bit workstations,
and had an unbroken line of upgrades and machine migrations from Debian
Sarge, starting several years ago. Just try that with Windows.

> > And the
> > average man in the street does not install his own OS, whatever
> > that OS may be.
>
> what? That's absurd. The only people I know who have their OS
> installed at a shop are Apple users.

Now you are rambling. The only Windows installations I know of, and
that's quite a few, came preinstalled on the computer, apart from my
own. Microsoft makes it very difficult for people to supply computers
with OEM Windows unless they sell *only* OEM Windows computers. It's
only people as big as HP who can manage to sell Linux-based or empty
machines. They also make it nearly impossible for people who don't want
Windows to get a refund on an OEM Windows installation, despite
pretending that people who do not agree with the EULA can do so.
Microsoft says that you gave the money to the retailer and should go
to him, and the retailer says that it's Microsoft making the money-back
promise, not him.

You don't even get installation discs with preinstalled workstation
Windows, and that goes back to XP. So there is absolutely no
possibility of the average home or business user installing Windows
from scratch, it's only people who assemble their own computers who do
it. Even reinstallation of a broken system just involves restoring an
image from a hidden hard drive partition. If your hard drive breaks,
you have to buy a new copy of Windows and *then* you learn how to
install it.

> Look, I asked for help. Then things got out of hand. Some Linux
> people seem to have a bad attitude.

No, you didn't. You've mostly ranted. I haven't seen you quote a
single specific error message or scenario. If you want help, explain
what you want help *with*.

I have a netbook with an unbelievably slow solid-state drive, with
Ubuntu on it. Even children can install Ubuntu. But I recently got
round to installing Debian Sid on a 160GB hard drive with real rotating
bits, and the netbook runs dramatically faster using it. The same
installation will boot on every PC I've tried so far, 32 or 64 bits
(it's a 32 bit installation, of course). I actually carry it around,
it's a 1.8inch USB drive, and I really haven't found a machine yet that
it won't boot on. Apart from my Raspberry Pi, but that's an ARM
machine. You haven't been trying x86 or amd64 installations on ARM
computers, have you?

--
Joe