Re: a very carefully asked question?

On Feb 27, 2013 6:39 AM, "Joao Luis Meloni Assirati" <assirati@nonada.if.usp.br> wrote:

> > Hi folks,
> > I have been considering all day how I will ask this.
> > it is very very important that I get the answer I seek, and with so  many
> > variations, things can  shift off the mark if not careful.
> > going to keep it simple  only adding extra detail if necessary.
> > If one already has an install of debian, in this case squeeze that did
> > not involve including network access at the time, how does one add  the
> > networking aspect later?
> > I will have working dsl I trust this weekend.  I want the individual
> > helping me connect my main computer to also inform my Debian machine that
> > network connection exists, letting debian establish  the best drivers
> > etc., for the network.
> > How specifically is this done?
>
> Chances are that your network card was detected and the correct kernel
> module is already being loaded. If this is the case and you never touched
> any network configuration file, and also you dsl provider does not use
> pppoe but instead plain ethernet with dhcp, then networking will just work
> when you connect the network cable.
>
> If it does not work, please write again to this list including the output
> of the comands
>
> cat /etc/network/interfaces
> dpkg --status network-manager | grep Status
> lspci -v
> dmesg | grep eth0
> /sbin/ifconfig
>
> and whether your provider uses pppoe or plain ethernet with dhcp.
>
> João Luis.
>

> --

Yes, João Luis is right; I remember when I also had DSL, I was using pppconfig (or ppp-config) which was basically just a script that launched a wizard that would ask you a few questions like dsl user name and password.
However, I recommend you try the DSL on a computer to see that the connection is working, disconect it using ppp-on (? or some similar command -- I'd just type ppp<tab>) and plug it into a router. That way you only configure it once and you can plug in as many network devices as you have ports available, and wireless devices even :-).

And please do come back to the list asking your questions; you don't have to spend a lot of time to formulate them. Just describe your problem and what you have tried to do about it, if applicable.

Good luck!